Thursday 24 July 2008

The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media

I have been getting the error "The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media" when burning a DVD on my MacBook Pro for a while. I have read around the web to see if there are some answers. There are answers ranging from using a DVD cleaner to change the international settings. I decided to do in my own way so I first tried to reset the SMC (System Management Controller) on my MacBook Pro by shutting it down, disconnecting the power, removing battery and then pressing the power button for 5 seconds.
After the Mac is powered up I re-started the burn process and it is now complete as I am writing this. I am not sure whether this can solve your problems though it solved mine.
Good luck, and thanks for all the fish.

2 comments:

woahdae said...

Thanks, worked for me on a new (2008) iMac. Or it could have just been the restart. Either way, thanks.

woahdae said...

I should clarify that a bit. The iMac SMC reset steps are different, and the ones that I followed at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543 make no mention of the new iMacs. Anyways, I did as they said for resetting the SMC, and it worked.